Welcome to Safe Haven Farm Sanctuary. We are dedicated to compassion toward all animals. Below you will find a list of some of the things we do:
- We rescue farm animals, restore them to health and provide a safe home in which they can live out their lives.
- We develop educational materials for the public to increase awareness of the treatment of animals on factory farms, the impact of hunting on wildlife, and impact of our treatment of animals on the environment and human health.
- We advocate for the protection of all animals and provide opportunities for the public to meet animals in a welcoming farm setting where they can interact with the animals freely and appreciate their personalities.
- We provide resources and support for individuals wishing to try to follow a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- We advocate for the protection of the natural environment.
- We work with other organizations with similar missions or goals to provide care and rehabilitation for animals, preserve open space, and educate the public.
Safe Haven Farm Sanctuary was founded by William and Ellen Crain. William Crain, PhD is a child development specialist and Professor of Psychology at the City College of New York. He has written and lectured on the importance of nature to child development and the role of animals in stimulating children’s creativity and compassion. Ellen Crain, MD, PhD is a pediatrician at one of New York City’s municipal hospitals. Through the Academic Pediatric Association, she founded the first national fellowship in environmental pediatrics, which won a Children’s Environmental Health Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 2006.
- Dr. Ellen Crain, President
Ellen Crain has a MD, PhD and works as a pediatrician at one of New York City’s municipal hospitals.
- Dr. William Crain, Vice-President
William Crain is a child development specialist and Professor of Psychology at the City College of New York